Sunday, September 7, 2008

PART III - Playing the Game of Scouting



I have to admit, I am a sucker for 1950's design. I draw a lot of inspiration from 50's illustrations and photos. There is something about that era's innocence that is so creepy. I love it. 
This is 1950's Boy Scouts of America Handbook. It belonged to
 my Grandmother's brother throughout scouts. We can learn a lot from the quality of this book. The binding feels like it is brand new (maybe he was not a very dedicated scout) and is holding together great for it's age. I can't be sure, but I think that about 80 percent of the books illustrations are woodcuts. I can't even comprehend doing all that work for one project. Looking through this book reminds me of the work that went into publication before the computer age and helps raise my bar for future design.

 
 The book has a standard portrait format. The dimensions are 4 inches wide, 6 inches tall. It is ideal for reading because of the occasionally lengthy instructions and any illustrations that may apply. Some of the layout feels out dated or strange, especially if it involves a map (they end up being sideways.) Despite it's quirks, there is a certain charm that keeps me coming back for more. 

If you want this book you'll need to get a used one on ebay.com. Just search for Handbook for Boys 1950. You can also get a reprint of the very first edition of the Handbook for Boys at amazon.com. 

No comments: